Magic Wands: vs. Mavericks

Orlando, Fla.

(3-4) vs. (4-3)   
Time/TV: 7 p.m./No TV
Line: No Line
Tickets: $7-$302 on TiqIQ
Season Series: Tonight in Orlando (Preseason); Jan. 31 in Orlando; March 18 in Dallas

Pace Off. Rtg. Def. Rtg. eFG% O.Reb.% TO% FTR
Dallas 100.4 104.9
50.8 26.5
Orlando 100.7 94.8

Video Vault:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVpJBlavNTg

Click after the jump for the latest news from Magic and Mavericks sources.

1) Victor Oladipo is out indefinitely after suffering a facial fracture when he took an elbow to the face during yesterday’s practice.

2) There will be some nostalgia at Amway Center tonight as Jameer Nelson prepares to return to Orlando with the Mavericks, Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel writes.

3) The Magic officially signed Nikola Vucevic to a four-year extension on Thursday.

4) Brandon Gdula of Number Fire asks if the Magic got a good deal in resigning Nikola Vucevic and dives into his numbers to see if he is trending up or not.

Orlando Magic Daily Podcast Episode 25: The Orlando Magic 2015 Season Preview

It is almost here. We have just the one preseason game left Friday night at Amway Center. And then, we get things going.

Tuesday’s regular season debut against the Pelicans in the Crescent City (Elfrid Payton’s homecoming).

We can barely contain our excitement. And there are a lot of storylines to follow. A lot of very interesting storylines to follow.

With that in mind, we welcome the newest member of the Orlando Magic Daily crew, Carson Ingle, to talk about the upcoming season on the latest edition of the Orlando Magic Daily Podcast:

On This Episode:

–We introduce Carson Ingle, a longtime Orlando media member covering just about everything in Orlando, to the Orlando Magic Daily crew

–What the extension for Nikola Vucevic means for the Magic and whether he is worth the extension money he got

–Where Tobias Harris fits into the Magic’s future and his extension future

–Whether the Magic can improve this season and show the improvement to make the season a success

–Elfrid Payton’s emergence and how quickly he should enter the lineup

–How the Magic should use their veterans and their strategy in balancing winning against developing young players

–Evaluating Jacque Vaughn and what this year means for him

–Whether Victor Oladipo can make the leap into near-All Star status

–Where the Magic fit in the Eastern Conference and predictions for their record

Photo by Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

Magic make Nikola Vucevic extension official

The Magic and Nikola Vucevic have officially agreed to a contract extension. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed. However several outlets have reported the deal is worth $53 million over four years. The extension terms will kick in starting next season. The usually stoic Vucevic was comparatively beaming in talking to […]

NBA Blogtable discusses whether the Magic are on the way up

Photo by David Manning-USA TODAY Sports

Which of these down-on-its-luck franchises strikes you as on the fastest track forward: Utah, Sacramento or Orlando?

Steve Aschburner, NBA.com: Give me Orlando. They strike me as having the best fit of young pieces – Victor Oladipo, Tobias Harris, Mo Harkless, Nikola Vucevic, Aaron Gordon – to develop together, if they can manage to score enough points along the way. Sacramento should have been better by now, and for every Kings player who intrigues me, there’s another who cancels out the optimism. Utah’s talent is good but a new coach and system suggests a reset of the learning curve.

Scott Howard-Cooper, NBA.com: Orlando. For one thing, the Magic are in the East, which gives them an easier path to the back of the playoff pack, even this season despite a lot of youth. For another: Nikola Vucevic, Victor Oladipo, Tobias Harris, Maurice Harkless, Aaron Gordon and Elfrid Payton. That’s a nice foundation built on defense and rebounding. They obviously have a lot of growing to do while relying heavily on two rookies and a second-year player, but that’s a lot of potential for the fast track.

John Schuhmann, NBA.com: I’m not very excited about the 2-3 year prospects of any of these teams. The Kings have the best player of the three, but nothing around DeMarcus Cousins (or a clear plan of action) that says they definitely have a shot at making the playoffs in the next three years. The Magic and Jazz both have a decent collection of young talent, including rookie guards – Elfrid Payton and Dante Exum – with high ceilings, but nobody that is definitely a future All-Star. If I have to take one team, I’ll take Orlando, just because they’re in the Eastern Conference, where a playoff spot can be had with a decent amount of talent and good coaching.

Lang Whitaker, NBA.com’s All Ball blog: Utah and Orlando are each inching forward, not a slowly as Philadelphia, but at intentionally deliberate paces. But from the ownership down, Sacramento seems like a team that doesn’t want to wait any longer. While Utah and Orlando each have a few nice young pieces, the Kings have players like DeMarcus Cousins and Rudy Gay who are further along than most of the guys in Orlando and Utah. They’ve got a new arena on the way, and there seems to be a real urgency to win and win now.

[Sekou Smith's Hang Time Blog]

Magic take process over results, Rockets take win

At this point in the preseason, players are about rounded into form. The anticipation for the regular season takes over and the games take on a strange waywardness to them. The Magic led by eight points after three quarters and had the lead almost the entire night in the game. They yo-yoed the lead up […]

Magic Wands: vs. Rockets

Orlando, Fla.

(4-2) vs. (4-2)   
Time/TV: 7 p.m./No TV
Line: No Line
Tickets: $10-$278 on TiqIQ
Season Series: Tonight in Orlando (Preseason); Jan. 14 in Orlando; March 17 in Houston

Pace Off. Rtg. Def. Rtg. eFG% O.Reb.% TO% FTR
Houston 102.6 96.2 79.8
47.1 30.0
Orlando 101.1 97.3

Video Vault:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdtgUOiWHJg

Click after the jump for the latest news from Magic and Rockets sources.

(more…)

NBA experiments with 44-minute game

What did the players think of the quicker game, you might ask?

“I didn’t feel a different at all,” said Celtics forward Jeff Green told Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald article. “When you’re playing, you don’t think about it too much.”

This sentiment was shared by most of those involved with the game, such as Boston coach Brad Stevens, who said he was not sure about how much impact the four less minutes had. Brooklyn coach Lionel Hollins noted that for his team, only bench players’ minutes would be impacted by a shorter game, as his starters played roughly the same amount as they usually do.

–From Josh Burton and Philip Rossman-Reich of Crossover Chronicles

Tobias Harris on his contract negotiations

“I just play basketball. I let my agent handle that. I’m all about my team and us getting better as a unit, as a team and us winning more games this year. So that’s where my mindset is. I told my agent, ‘If something happens, you can call me. But if not, don’t call me.’ I’ll be ready to go every night.”

Tobias Harris to Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel

According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, the two sides are still far apart.

Magic teammates excited for Nikola Vucevic’s extension

Tobias Harris is also due an extension. The Magic have until October 31 to agree to an extension or he would be eligible to become a restricted free agent next summer.

Photo by Jeff Griffith-USA TODAY Sports

No searching for a center, it is Nikola Vucevic

In the years after Shaquille O’Neal left the Magic, the team searched for someone — anyone — who could play center. From Felton Spencer to Rony Seikaly to Isaac Austin to Andrew Declercq to Shawn Kemp to Patrick Ewing to Kelvin Cato. There was no consistency and no plan other than stop gaps (maybe Seikaly […]

Quantcast