The Orlando Magic hit the road for the first time to take on the Washington Wizards in the first of a back-to-back set in D.C.
Orlando Magic (1-0) vs. Washington Wizards (0-1)
7 p.m./FOX Sports Florida
2020 Season Series:
in Orlando on Nov. 17;
in Washington, D.C. on Dec. 3;
in Washington, D.C. on Jan. 1;
in Orlando on Jan. 8
2021 Season Series:
Tonight in Washington, D.C.; Dec. 27 in Washington, D.C.
The Orlando Magic statistically had an impressive outing against the Miami Heat in their opener. Perhaps made more impressive with how thoroughly the Miami Heat handled the New Orleans Pelicans on Christmas Day. The Washington Wizards though present the big challenge that has stunted this team for a long time — point guards who can get downhill and eat up space from a drop coverage. Russell Westbrook has had some big games against the Magic before. Orlando is going to have to rely on its principles — stopping transition, rebounding and defending the 3-point line — to win this one. They did those three things surprisingly well against the Heat. The Wizards will give up points if the Magic take care of these things.
1) The Orlando Magic are starting the brutal run through this condensed NBA season as the gauntlet begins in Washington, D.C., Roy Parry of the Orlando Sentinel writes.
2) The Orlando Magic took their first steps to put a disappointing 2020 season behind them with their season-opening win. They are eager to make up for last year’s frustrations.
3) The Orlando Magic are trying to play at a faster pace, but that transition will come with some bumps in the road as they get used to this new style.
4) Evan Fournier did not care about the criticisms or the uncertainty of this offseason, but this year will help him chart his future.
5) Evan Fournier is one of the most underrated shooters in the league, Josh Cohen of OrlandoMagic.com writes.
6) Evan Fournier came up with the play and stretch to calm the Orlando Magic down and help them take the win over the Miami Heat, Josh Robbins of The Athletic writes.
7) Russell Westbrook left a big impression in his debut for the Washington Wizards, Noah Ferguson of Wiz of Awes writes.
8) Dwayne Bacon has gotten his opportunity, now he needs to show consistency in his role, Omar Cabrera writes.
9) Max Mortenson dives into what might be new about the Orlando Magic’s offense.
10) Where the Orlando Magic are headed after a quiet offseason, Max Mortenson explores.
13) The NBA players have made it clear that their publicly funded arenas should also serve the public good, Kevin Blackistone of The Washington Post writes.
14) The NBPA donated $50,000 to a Disney Union-run food bank to help workers now out of work in the theme park industry due to the pandemic.
15) Friday was the 25-year anniversary of Anfernee Hardaway’s game-winning basket to get revenge on the Houston Rockets on Christmas Day for the Orlando Magic. Mike Ferguson of Orlando Pinstriped Post recounts the game.