The Orlando Magic try to keep their spot as the league’s lone undefeated team as they take on the Philadelphia 76ers to start a four-game homestand.
Philadelphia 76ers (3-1) vs. Orlando Magic (4-0)
6:30 p.m./NBATV, FOX Sports Florida
2020 Season Series:
in Orlando on Nov. 13;
in Orlando on Dec. 27;
in the NBA Campus on Aug. 7
2021 Season Series:
Tonight in Orlando
The Orlando Magic match up well with the Philadelphia 76ers for some reason. It feels like every time these two teams face each other, the 76ers face difficulties in trying to break down the Magic’s disciplined approach. The reality might be that Orlando has one of the few players who can match up with Ben Simmons in Aaron Gordon and Jonathan Isaac. The Magic are playing well right now. Their offense is moving really well. But the Oklahoma City Thunder showed how length at the rim especially can bother team. Unless Orlando is shooting at a torrid pace, the offense can get stuck. The Magic’s defense is probably better than it gets credit for so far. The Magic step up at big moments. But that kind of close-game luck will run out at some point. This team will lose its first game. Whether the Magic can break the Sixers’ strong defense or the Sixers can stop the Magic’s strong offense is a chess match that will be fun to watch.
1) The Philadelphia 76ers look like a team who needs another star to get the most of Joel Embiid, David Murphy of The Philadelphia Inquirer writes.
2) Ben Simmons’ shooting, or lack thereof, remains a hot topic among Philadelphia 76ers fans, Keith Pompey of The Philadelphia Inquirer writes.
3) Aaron Gordon is still dealing with his injury from the bubble as the Orlando Magic remain cautious with him. They know they cannot lose him with their depth issues at power forward.
4) Nikola Vucevic set the franchise mark for most field goals made in a career with the team. But he is still seeking his place in the team’s history.
5) Tobias Harris was at his best in the Philadelphia 76ers’ win over the Toronto Raptors, Christopher Kline of The Sixer Sense writes.
6) The Orlando Magic have dominated fourth quartersMagic in the early part of the season, Josh Cohen of OrlandoMagic.com writes.
7) The Philadelphia 76ers are still looking for a 48-minute effort, Keith Pompey of The Philadelphia Inquirer writes.
9) The Philadelphia 76ers used a gritty effort to defeat the Toronto Raptors, using their strong defense to score the come-from-behind win, Derek Bodner of The Athletic writes.
10) The Orlando Magic are playing with more pace, but that transition has had some rocky moments.
11) The Orlando Magic’s production off the bench has given the team a huge boost early in the season.
12) Three bold predictions for the Orlando Magic to start the season, Isaac Ryu writes.
13) Was Ben Simmons the right pick with the top pick of the 2016 NBA Draft? Matt Cahill of The Sixer Sense ponders if Brandon Ingram wouldn’t have been a better choice.
14) Markelle Fultz has turned his career around with the Orlando Magic, Tim Monaghan writes.